The Assumption Cathedral
The first stone cathedral’s foundation was laid in 1326 by the first Moscow Metropolitan Peter and Prince Ivan Kalita (Money-bag). In late XV century, Great Prince Ivan III who had consolidated all Russian princedoms under the power of Moscow, began the construction of the new residence from rebuilding of the Assumption Cathedral. It was erected by a specially invited Italian architect in 1479.
Because of ceremonial functions, particular attention was paid to the cathedral’s interior. Its wall-paintings, icons and various secular utensils are artworks of international artistic value.
In front of the iconostasis you can see Tsar’s, Tsarina’s and Patriarch’s praying-seats. The Tsar’s one is of special interest. At the south-western corner higher its bronze marquee.
In XIV-XVII centuries, the Assumption Cathedral was the burial place of the Russian Orthodox Church heads - Metropolitans and Patriarchs.
After the Revolution of 1917, the Assumption Cathedral became a museum. Making the exposition, the staff tried to preserve the interior. Thanks to permanent restoration works practically all the icons and murals were open up. Since 1990, church services have been recommenced.